Translate

Monday, June 30, 2014

Meet Lauren - part I



Last week I had the pleasure to sit down with this incredible person that inspires me so much and to talk about her story within the United Hearts Children Center. Her name is Lauren. She is the most lovely person I ever met and I feel so lucky to have her as my mentor during this journey.
Lauren has dedicated the last four years of her life to the United Hearts in Bawjiase, Ghana. When I asked her how she got involved with the community in the first place, she told me that she was looking to volunteer abroad after college and was randomly placed there (I like to think that she was magically placed there). The thing is that, once she got there, she really never left. For the last few years Lauren had been going back and forth between Ghana and the US, and even while she is here, her heart belongs to them.
When Lauren arrived in Bawjiase, the kids from the children center were being evicted from the building that they were living in (just 2 rooms for 27 children and 6 staff). She immediately committed to fundraise for the construction of a new home. With her help and the help of many more, the new home was finished. It has indoor toilets, running water, electricity and plenty of space for the children.
The kids are happy and healthy. Thanks to sustainable projects such as fish ponds and the goat farm, and thanks to the staff members, the United Hearts Children Center has been able to provide for themselves. 
It is so clear to everyone the love that Lauren has for the children of United Hearts. Tears pop in her eyes every time she talks about them. "These kids gave me the world, and the least I can do is to make sure that they have a safe place to live and that they have access to basic human needs like education, health, and food."
This amazing community of hard workers just don't stop dreaming. As the United Hearts School is being built, they want to make sure that they can offer quality education to all kids in their community. Lauren says "We have kids walking miles everyday to access schooling, a School Bus would save them time and energy to focus on what is really important."


You too can help United Hearts bring all the children from Bawjiase to the classroom!
100% of the donations will go directly towards The Bus Project and you can check my progress as  I fundraise here in the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment