Translate

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Where I've been and where I am



Christmas in Kisumu with my husband and babies Alyssa and Meggie.

It's been so long since my last post and so much has happened. After four months I am back home in San Franscisco. My last days in Kisumu were amazing, my husband that I was missing so much came to visit and we spent Christmas together with our partners from the school and their families.

One day, David an Erick asked to pick us up from where we were because they wanted to do something with us (very suspicious). It was already dark when we met and when I entered their car I saw that all teachers from Akili were there too. I started screaming with excitement because I was so happy. We all went for a lovely dinner and Sara also got a Birthday cake. Thanks guys, what a wonderful surprise that was!

On Christmas day each one of the three families (my family of two included) had to cook a dish to share. My jewish husband ironically cooked Shakshuka (yes, I had to ask him how to spell it) and everyone loved it! Specially because our friend David loves bolognese, and because of that we decided to add ground beef on the dish, and cheese too. Yummy! At supper we also had chicken, potatoes, bread, chapati (I could't do it without chapatis) and rice. We had so much food that we had to call our friends to come help us eat everything. It was such a nice day and probably my favorite and most special Christmas of all times!

Celebrating the Holidays with the Akili team.

Right after Christmas was time to leave. My heart was so heavy. I had spent three months in Kisumu and I learned how to love it. When I got on the airplane I felt like I was leaving part of me behind. Knowing that this process would be very hard for me and that I am terrible at goodbyes, I had a plan  with me all along. I went to Brazil =) To visit my friends and family.

What I did not expect was to double the love I was felling in my heart. I didn't expect to find so many good surprises in Brazil. I thought that I was going to find everything the same way as the day when I left my parents home, but I was wrong. I wasn't expected to meet such wonderful people and make new friends. My old friends too, it was so good to see them happy, some are married, engaged, some are having babies. The best part was to spend time with my best friend's 4 years old daughter and become best friends with her too. I found that my baby cousin is the cutest thing in the world and I am so happy because he makes my mom so happy. I found that my grandma has a new boyfriend and that another cousin is going to medical school. I had the chance to spend my Birthday with my family! And I also am so glad that I could spend time with my dear auntie who is a second mom to me and to whom I wish courage and faith on her battle <3

Now, finally back (to what in the present moment I call) home, I am trying to keep it together. I left big chunks of my heart behind and I miss them all, but thanks to all these people my heart is so full right now. I am so grateful for each and everyone of you. New and old friends, in Africa or Brazil, you are so special to me. Thank you for being part of my journey!

Enjoying all the colors and flavors of Brazil at Mercado Municipal de São Paulo.

Hiking with my little brother at Rota das Cachoeiras - Corupá, SC.

With my husband and parents in Farol de Santa Marta - Laguna, SC.

Devin and I with my auntie at my Birthday party.

Being silly with my good friend Ana and her daughter Giovanna.

So much has been also going on at Akili! Soon you will be able to check out the progress!










No comments:

Post a Comment