Translate

Thursday, December 4, 2014

A Magical Place Called Budondo

Girls at the workshop, under the jackfruit tree.

Global Advocates Sara, Erin (who is working in Tanzania), and I went to visit Ashleigh and her project in Budondo, Uganda. The Mukisas welcomed us so well and I ate so much! In one single day I had bananas, watermelon, pineapple, passionfruit, papaya and jackfruit. It's funny because I knew jackfruit from Brazil (jaca) but I had never tried it before, and let me tell you, it is delicious!! One of the best ideas I ever had in life was to grab a camera and record my first experience eating a jackfruit. The best part is when Mukisa steps in and says he lost his cow.  You can watch the video here:

While in the village we also had the opportunity to participate in a workshop for girls about reproductive health and family planning. The workshop was led by Days for Girls, and they also taught the girls how to make their own disposable pads so they don't have to miss school days! I was so impressed with the pads that I am committed to make my own kit. Not only are the pads amazing for girls with no access or money to buy regular pads, but also they are really good for the environment! I found this tutorial on Youtube and you can learn how to make them too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Qvcq_urA0.

I had such a great time in Budondo, it is so pretty and green... and delicious. I am so lucky that I had this opportunity to visit the village and the amazingness of the Suubi Health Centre. Thank you Ash and the Mukisa family! Hope to see you again soon!

Girls at the end of the workshop!

Ashleigh, Sara, Erin and I at the Suubi Heath Center.

Ash showing her bubble skills to Julie and Ana. 

With the Mukisas.



No comments:

Post a Comment