Translate

Thursday, August 21, 2014

About Acceptance


Today I will live in acceptance rather than expectation!

Last Thursday (August 19th) was the World Humanitarian Day. Wikipedia describes humanitarianism as an ethic of kindness, benevolence, and sympathy extended universally and impartially to all human beings. Humanitarianism can also be described as the acceptance of every human being for plainly just being another human, ignoring and abolishing biased social views, prejudice, and racism in the process.

I've been learning so much since I started this journey, specially when it comes to acceptance. Understanding that people have different points of view is an important part of this job and I believe that this is all preparing me for what it is to come, in Ghana.

Fundraising is hard and sometimes frustrating. I am so immensely grateful for all the help from people that I got so far. But, it really hits you hard when you don't hear from people that you thought would be 100% behind you. On a journey like this all kinds of support are needed, it is not just about money or about how much you give. It is about showing your support through words, it is about sharing a video or a post, it is about using a skill you have towards a good cause. Like the people that helped me to build this blog, or the people that helped me at the fundraiser party. It is about taking a regular day of your life and just naming it differently.

But I have to accept that some people are simply not where I am at. Everyone has its own problems and is going through something in their lives that I know nothing about. So when I contact someone and don't hear an answer it is important to not take it personally. Fundraising requires a fine balance between patience and persistence. That is no recipe to find that balance, but is definitely something that I am learning as I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment